I'm looking to buy a ND filter kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm looking to buy a ND filter kit?

I have opened up a new thread on the issue you raised about ISO50 on the 5D2
    ef-r

Comment

No, the issue I raised was your ISO 50 red herring - totally irrellevant as the OP hasn't got a 5Dmk2
      And the mere 1 stop difference from using ISO 50 as any kind of vaible alternative to ND filters.
      Just silly imho.

You usually talk constantly, at every given opportunity about the kit you have, perhaps you just wanted to remind the forum you have a 5Dmk2 ? :-))

Trev
      Last edited by Trevoreast; 15-11-2011, 00:10.

Comment

Could we get back to the OP as to what grads he should go for? I would be interested in the answer. might have missed it in the bickering though.
        Col
        Col

Comment

Colin -

As I said - P series is fine, screw on ND for the 10-22 if he gets one.
          ef-r

Comment

Brian got that now, trying to read too fast
            Col
            Col

Comment

I would be interested in the answer. might have missed it in the bickering though.
              Col, don't mistake questioning & and bit of mild cross examining of what people say as bickering. :-)

The answer like a lorra things in photography depends on who you ask, get the lee ones if you require the best.
              Or make compromises depending on anticipated usage, or depth of pocket :)

If you want to have a bit of fun get a 30 quid varaible screw on filter, and accept a bit of vignetting on ultra wide lenses.

Trev

Comment

must be cos I don't understand all the smileys they just show up as dots and dashes on my computer having re read the posts. Apologies. Back to Merlins post anyone used premier-ink for purchases?
                Col
                Col

Comment

Premier-Ink are fine, bought a fair bit off them over the years
                  ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                    The Pro Series and Lee Filters are 100 x 150 so that you can slide the grads up and down in the holder to suit the picture you are taking. If you choose to have a lot of sky (or land) in the shot than normal, the larger filters can accomodate that without compromise.
                    A great reason to buy a Pro filter system.
                    Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                    Premier-Ink are fine, bought a fair bit off them over the years
                    There are better prices available elsewhere.

Comment

Meant to say it's true some of the cheaper ones give a slight colour cast - this is more a concern if what your are snapping is colour critical.
                      For many applications this can be corrected adequetly on a computer with a basic image editing package.

Trev

Comment

(Sorry, slightly belatedly) I got fed up with messing about a little while back and now just use one of the Heliopan Variable ND Filters (0.3 to 1.8 ND density, which is 1 to about 6 stops), BUT they really aren't cheap, especially if you want the 77mm one (as I did). The cheaper variable NDs tend to die a death at focal lengths much above 70mm. (You can make your own variable ND with a polariser and a circular polariser, although again only for short focal lengths.) One of the reasons I like the Heliopan is its brightest setting is enough to AF with F4 lenses (some other good ones start at 2 stops). BTW they aren't easy to get in the UK.

(Pause to Google.)

The following post was submitted by Matthew G. Monroe Tucked away in my camera bag — just slightly behind the small headlamp that I always keep in there — are two of the most useful items in my photographic arsenal. No, it’s not a set of Pocket Wizards (pretty dang’ handy though), and it’s not […]

(Longer pause to find the site I remember about longer focal lengths... although the reviewer only added that section after some nagging in an online discussion...)

...scroll down to "Resolution Test at Longer Focal Lengths"

This is more a warning about cheap variable NDs than a suggestion to buy something that expensive. It is so handy though...

John
                        Last edited by DrJon; 17-11-2011, 21:22.

Comment

Working...
                        X