7d or 1Dmkiii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7d or 1Dmkiii

if you have been offered 700 bite his arm off paul . never yet heard of a oil spot problem on them ,just checked with canon head office over the sub mirror frame issues and you can either do a software update or opt for the STILL CURRENT free repair ,i think no 3 goes along with no2

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
      if you have been offered 700 bite his arm off paul . never yet heard of a oil spot problem on them ,just checked with canon head office over the sub mirror frame issues and you can either do a software update or opt for the STILL CURRENT free repair ,i think no 3 goes along with no2
      £700 is going with the 17-85 lens, two batteries, a book, and a bag. Still think it's a good offer? I can get a 1d MKIII for £699, however, better condition ones for £899. It then leaves a massive hole in my lenses that only a 24-105 will fill. An expensive decision to switch to a 1D mkiii I think.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

i can't make that choice for you i,m afraid ,the two options available are a used 1dmkiii for around 700+ or a brand new import 70d from HDEW for £720 with there own 3 year warranty .

Comment

I won't ever buy import ever again. Not after the hassle of answering a ton of questions from buyers about my 70-200 2.8 like I was some criminal. It's a canon UK warranty or nothing for me from now on. People thought they should get serious money off that lens cause it came from HK. I was so disgusted.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
            I won't ever buy import ever again.
            ....Park Cameras, very competitive prices and similar to Wex, offer the 70D body only for £859 currently.

I bought my 70D from Park, so peace of mind! Buying from overseas might save a bit more money and for some folks it works out fine but for others it doesn't! It's a gamble which isn't worth it as far as I'm concerned.

Choosing which camera is about choosing which one delivers what you want and also which feels right in your hands - It's like a good high performance car and it's best to test drive before buying.
            "The camera takes the photo, but the photographer makes it" - Ansell Adams, 1902-1984

Comment

The 7D feels right in the hand. Always feel my pinky is made redundant though. I would have just got a 3rd party battery grip for it, however, I'm itching to give a 1D a go. If I don't like it, I'll just swap over again.
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

tried my lads 70d out again just now and although it offers a very good a/f system ,high iso limits ,latest processor etc to me it feels rather toy like ,i,m 6'1'' and around the 20st mark with big mutt hands ,so robins comment re-FEELING right is very valid ,and as my lad just said if you do buy a 70d you'll still want a 1D3 as well .

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                  tried my lads 70d out again just now and although it offers a very good a/f system ,high iso limits ,latest processor etc to me it feels rather toy like ,i,m 6'1'' and around the 20st mark with big mutt hands ,so robins comment re-FEELING right is very valid ,and as my lad just said if you do buy a 70d you'll still want a 1D3 as well .
                  It is interesting following this thread, it's definitely a very personal decision which camera feels right to an individual.
                  what feels right to one may feel awkward or unfriendly to another.
                  Take me for example, I am 6'2" and about 15.5st with fair old banana fingers, I like my 70D and it feels just right in my hand.

Good job we are all different, means there is a wide experience of different EOS bodies and lenses here on the forum.
                  Andy

Comment

When I got the 7D it felt great. IQ on my Tamron lens was down from the 600D and I had that Uh Oh moment. Have I made the right choice? I then realised there was a really aggressive AA filter killing the RAW image sharpness. I got used to how to correct for it in post, but then the issue of noise came in. I thought, ok I need fast glass, and L glass asap, so went out and bought the best 70-200 you can buy. Popped it on, and for the most part I was happy about 50% of the time. Purely because I had to calibrate that lens to get it right. I then realised that I needed more reach so sold that lens and got the 400 5.6. Keeper rate just fell from 50% to 1 in 20 shots on average. I reset the camera to factory defaults and calibrated the lens in body and the sharpness was fine, but the AF just isn't snappy enough and continued hunting in AI Servo was enough for me.

The other lenses are fine. I just don't think my 7D likes L lenses lol
                    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                    www.campsie.photography

Comment

flight practise by blackfox wildlife and nature imaging, on Flickr

bolted the 400mm f5.6 on the 60d this morning and in company with a couple of slices of bread went on the field outside ,although not quite as fast as the 7d to a/f its still a very good back up with nice clean editable files .so my choice to go with the 1d3 now looks sound
                      Last edited by the black fox; 07-01-2014, 14:22.

Comment

Still a perfectly great shot Jeff if even with a 60D AF. You can obviously turn your skill to any camera. A skill I've yet to master lol I've had loads of people asking about my camera but nothing else.
                        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Superb capture, Jeff!

I must start bribing Gulls with bread to pose.
                          "The camera takes the photo, but the photographer makes it" - Ansell Adams, 1902-1984

Comment

Working...
                          X