Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EOS 5D IV spec

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
    I may have to sell a vital organ to fund another camera. Probably best that I wait until the price comes down, that way I may only have to sell a small vital organ
    If I buy this, my wife will be removing a vital organ

Tom

Comment

I've decided to kill two birds with one stone - sold all the organs in a bulk deal, they are collecting the wife tomorrow
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
        I've decided to kill two birds with one stone - sold all the organs in a bulk deal, they are collecting the wife tomorrow
        LOL

Tom

Comment

5Dsr launched at £3200 and about 192 Yen to the £, so say 614k Yen for Canon. Today the rate is 132 Yen to the £ so a 5Dsr would have been (if Yen price the same) £4654, hence it's a bargain as Canon only get 475k Yen per 5DmkIV! At the start of June it was 160 Yen so a launch price 5Dsr would have been £3840. (I'll avoid talking about why the rate is so low now as that's one for different forums, hopefully everyone else will too.)

Comment

Seems like Tony Northrup is not that thrilled with the Mark IV

Comment

He is not impressed is he!
              The video really highlights some omissions ...especially video capability which I'm not interested in.... but hybrid finder, floppy lcd etc ....it's a shame.
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Agree Brian - right now I'm not spending the money - plus I find it bloody annoying that Canon put such a good feature into camera and FORCE togs to use there software - huge mistake

I think you could say underwhelmed ... he brings up some great points and whilst I don't give a frig about video clearly Canon have failed with this and I can see anyone thinking of buying this as a stills / video won't be spending the money ..thankfully I don't have an interest

What is VERY annoying his that Canon is forcing togs to use DPP if they want to use Dual pixel Raw. I have no interest in DPP I use LR so another feature I won't be able to use ..FAIL

Its gong to be interesting to see the test images as the dynamic range of this camera and its high ISO handling is the only thing thats going to save this camera

But excellent honest review

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

I'm wondering if canon have thrown in the towel to Nikon....and impending mirrorless competition; if that's the case they maybe adopting a strategy of creating a canon niche....low volume but high margin....the release prices of this and the new lenses support that theory.
                  Maybe all of this is academic....the last two 5D iterations satisfy at least 95% of commercial and enthusiasts needs.
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                    Seems like Tony Northrup is not that thrilled with the Mark IV

https://youtu.be/quwAvqcbLRw
                    Started watching that and will finish it, but my first impression is that comparing it to the sensor on the 5Ds/r cameras is not realistic.
                    The are meant for different tasks.
                    Andy

Comment

On a positive angle dual pixel maybe a leading innovation....at least they have provided a tool to use it...theres nothing to say LR will not catch up....it could be the feature that trumps the competition.
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                        I'm wondering if canon have thrown in the towel to Nikon....and impending mirrorless competition; if that's the case they maybe adopting a strategy of creating a canon niche....low volume but high margin....the release prices of this and the new lenses support that theory.
                        Maybe all of this is academic....the last two 5D iterations satisfy at least 95% of commercial and enthusiasts needs.
                        I think as Tony said "anyone with a MkIII this is a big leap forward" but is it enough to spend the cash, and whilst creating a niche can be a good marketing model if that niche also relies on you using a PP that many don't like or use then its stupid and TBH I'm amazed Canon have done this!!

As for LR being able to process dual pixel at a later date, I'm not sure that will be possible.. The camera could have offered so much more, but it still maybe of interest due to 30% increase in image size, so not far off offering a crop sensor crop and hopefully a much better dynamic range and being able to use all of that 32k iso - if the test images show that its enough to make me buy it ...but I'll never be able to use dual pixel Raw which is annoying but I'm not going backwards and using DPP

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                          ...but I'll never be able to use dual pixel Raw which is annoying but I'm not going backwards and using DPP
                          Can you explain why using DPP would be a backwards step? I am not criticising your decision, but am genuinely interested to know why you are so against using the software.

DPP is an excellent RAW converter and can be used as part of a workflow - converting a RAW file and making any changes that DPP can handle and then saving as a TIFF to open in Lightroom or Photoshop. I'm sure that's what most photographers will do if they want to take advantage of the Dual Pixel RAW option.
                          Robert
                          robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

It seems to me that the spec of this camera is a great improvement over the last model. Ok, it has video on it but you don't have to use it. I am sure the software programmers will bring out updates for people to use their software. It can only be a good improvement?
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/47382834@N07/

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                              Can you explain why using DPP would be a backwards step? I am not criticising your decision, but am genuinely interested to know why you are so against using the software.

DPP is an excellent RAW converter and can be used as part of a workflow - converting a RAW file and making any changes that DPP can handle and then saving as a TIFF to open in Lightroom or Photoshop. I'm sure that's what most photographers will do if they want to take advantage of the Dual Pixel RAW option.
                              If you don't mind Robert I would much sooner discuss the new camera rather than turning this thread into another DPP v LR discussion

Originally posted by cjf999 View Post
                              It seems to me that the spec of this camera is a great improvement over the last model. Ok, it has video on it but you don't have to use it. I am sure the software programmers will bring out updates for people to use their software. It can only be a good improvement?
                              for me the great improvement will hopefully stack up when we start seeing what it will do - so far we've not seen this ....I'm very keen to see how it compares with models that have been around for a while as I would expect this to be leaps ahead of dynamic range and ISO with cameras like the A7Rii
                              Last edited by Tigger; 26-08-2016, 09:57.

Comment

Yes agree with you Ian, it will be nice to see what this camera will do. And as you said, how it compares to other cameras.

Chris
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/47382834@N07/

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X