X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Options for longer reach

Originally posted by Bawbee View Post
    You will miss the IS Paul
    I was a little disappointed with the success rate of my 500mm when I first used it for birds in flight. After a lot of fussing about, I decided to have a days shooting with IS switched off and my keeper rate significantly increased.

As I was using shutter speeds well in excess of 1/500sec, which is the minimum required to ensure no camera shake using a 500mm lens, I reasoned that the IS was probably working hard to correct a problem that wasn't actually there. Consequently, I switched IS off on all my telephoto's and ensured that the shutter speed was at, or higher than the focal length of the lens.

I understand that Paul is primarily looking for bird shots, where shutter speeds are more likely to be 1/1,000 sec and above where IS would be of no advantage.
    Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
      I must admit I don't like the push/pull feature of that lens. I rest the lens on my hand and elbow on my chest keeping a tight grip. If I had push/pull I'd have to use my arm in an awkward way ( I think)

Having the 70-200 has been great but it's making me sad that I can't get the reach.
      I've be hired the Canon 100-400mm lens, as was wondering about the push-pull action.
      So far it's been very easy to use and you can zoom and focus with one hand when you get used to if needed.
      if the rest of my hire period is as enjoyable I think I will be investing.

if you've not tried one give it a go! you may be pleasantly surprised.
      Andy

Comment

When zooms first arrived they were all push/pull.

I still have an FD 80 - 200mm that I used with my Canon AE1 and a sweeter action you couldn't wish for when you could focus and zoom without moving your hand position. That was in the days when you still had to focus a lens, but it was quite an easy technique to take the weight of the lens on the ball of your hand and use your fingers to fine tune the focus and zoom ratio required.

I suspect that most who don't like the idea of push/pull, haven't really used it for more than a few minutes and not given themselves an opportunity to get used to it.
        Colin

Comment

Working...
        X