Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photographic challenges

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
    A good example is Brian's cat's tail. Whether it was a mistake or not, it did lighten up my day, when I looked for light relief.
    Cat wouldn't sit still - so it went and sat at the door where there is some natural light - so I took the shot anyway

Glad you enjoyed it.

I took a portrait of our other cat - and postd it under 'black and white' - this is my first photo with the flash off the shoe
    ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
      Yes – I did see the humour in Brian cats tail picture, I believe Brain is a good guy.

Nathaniel,
      I nominate you to choose a theme and be the judge of the first round.
      I’d suggest one picture per person – no old pictures, they must be taken for the challenge.

The person whose image you choose, sets the next theme??

Could the admins could give us a section for this, or help to set this up ?
      Millie
      Millie, I would like to be fair to all the entrants in this sort of competition and hence I would like you to start things off. My only excuse at the moment is "timing"- a very busy time for Auditors like me and I am sure both you and the members will understand.Give me two months and then I will more than take up the role of "umpire/referee". Just to encourage Brian & the rest with good sense of humour is that I showed the photo (after printing it out) to some of my mournful and stern looking colleagues and they were in "stiches"- which is why I suggested this sort of entry. I hope you understand. Life is far too serious at the moment with the credit crunch,lay offs etc.
      Last edited by Nathaniel; 22-02-2010, 18:15.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Sorry to come in late on this one - looks like all the ingredients are there; principle of the challenge by Millie, timing by C-F, subject by Brian - as Richie would say in Bottom.....'lets do-oo-oo- it!
        That's my avatar on the left - not my entry - but my entry will be my avatar!
        did you like that?
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

To start things off, I would set a theme like "Humour/funny side of life" & give a time period of two weeks from 1st March. End on 15th March. NO old photos. One photo per entrant.The subjuect of humour can be any thing- animal,humans, Daleks!! Millie, as you started this off, you be the "judge" for this one.Feel free to change the theme if you don't like it.
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 22-02-2010, 23:50.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Why not. I'll give it a whirl.

Comment

The challenge would be about using your creative skills, working to a deadline, and last, but not least having a bit of fun.
              No extra merit earned for posh equipment, exotic locations, expensive props, or glamorous models.

OK let’s try to get the show on the road then.

Here are the rules based on all your comments.

/////////////// RULES //////////////////
              Time period of two weeks from 1st March. End on 15th March.

1. 1 image per person.
              2. Use a Canon DSLR
              3. No old images – this would defeat the object of the challenge.
              4. Images min 800 px widest max (to help those with small monitors)
              5. No fancy Photoshop frames and borders.
              6. Include a brief description, and title. The image must ‘stand up’ without title & description.
              7. No comments, on images until the round is over.
              8. No canvassing eg I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?
              9. The guest ‘judge’ will pick 1st 2nd 3rd favourite images ( Please don’t PM them to bitch about choices)
              ///////////////////////////////////

I would reluctantly agree to be the first guest ‘judge’, unless anyone else steps forward.
              I suggest the first theme is FUN – it’s entirely up to you how you interpret the theme.

1st place will set the next theme, and judge the next round, if 1st place doesn’t want to do it, 2nd place will step in and so on.

Now where should I post the challenge?

Millie

Comment

Just come to this thread - looks very worthwhile and those rules seem fine.
                Re: one comment about posting and using flickr - seems a bit unfair to those who finance this forum to post elsewhere.
                March seems fine for a start - cold Feb isn't generating a lot of fun....
                Thanks Millie - and thanks for putting up an avatar again.
                Cheers, Chris.
                Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris J View Post
                  Re: one comment about posting and using flickr - seems a bit unfair to those who finance this forum to post elsewhere.
                  Not at all. If you post elsewhere you are not using up Forum web space, which helps to keep our costs down.
                  Robert
                  robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Thanks, Robert - I should have twigged that all those megabytes being stored elsewhere and then referred to by addresses on this forum keeps some of the load off you.
                    Cheers, Chris.
                    Just chuggin' along.

Comment

This is another excellent idea. I've just created a place for you to post your photo challenges. Look for Forum photo challenge under EOS magazine forum on the home page.

Andrew
                      Andrew
                      www.eos-magazine.com

Comment

Thanks for making it possible Andrew

Looks like we're kicking it off next Monday 1st March 2010

Millie

Comment

Thanks Andrew. I am sure this will be a great help to newcomers to DSLR's, like me.

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
                            Thanks for making it possible Andrew

Looks like we're kicking it off next Monday 1st March 2010

Millie
                            Millie, I am happy for you- i.e you have got this project off the ground. I am only wondering whether entrants would like to insert their recent mug shot like what some of us have done, so that even with their pen names, members know who they are. In other words putting a face to the name, whether it be Cyclops!! It's only a suggestion. At the moment, thne majority of the forum members are "faceless"!!!! esp when we are moving on to an era of TRANSPARENCY.

Comment

I am looking forward to it - already have the subject in mind

PS The picture of my beard is enough to recognise me :)
                              ef-r

Comment

Even Bin....Liner(thanks CF for that!) has a beard! So how would I or anyone know who you are,if we meet in the very near future? Might get you ejected as being up to no good!!- unless of course like the villain in one of the James Bond films, you carry/bring your cat for identification sake!

As count down is fast approaching, as Millie as stated, the" photo must stand up" and carry the message of "fun" across to the viewer. Thats the challenge, I presume it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X