Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photographic challenges

oops. wrong post
    Last edited by hughbie; 17-03-2010, 20:33.

Comment

I agree that the current rules are spot on. Will not suggest any tweaking- that will be like the political parties moving the goal posts to suit! fed up of that nonsense.

I would also like to suggest some sort of ingenuity in taking the photos. For example the current competition theme is "symmetry...." Does this mean that a row of 6 or more whisky bottles for example, arranged in a row (inanimate objects) would qualify for an entry under this category OR 3 or 4 lions (for example) opening their mouths in perfect symmetry would qualify for this category. I think a distinction should be drawn between inanimate objects and live objects/subjects when a competition theme is drawn up. I think better clarification is required, when future themes are set.
      Last edited by Nathaniel; 17-03-2010, 21:04.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Hi Nathaniel;

How you interpret a 'theme' is up to you... It's a simple, fun and open 'challenge'... We just accept that our entries may, or may not be, what the 'judge' is looking for!

I would suggest that both of your examples would qualify for this second challenge! Some submissions will inevitably be of inanimate (or still life) subjects; others may not... Why does there need to be any further 'clarification' or 'distinction'? I think it should be up to the judge to decide what he/she wants as a theme; and whether or not they want to impose any limitation for any given subject...

Let's not make life more complicated than it is!
        I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
        Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by eeyore View Post
          Perhaps entries posted should also contain exif data...
          Don't have any problem with that personally; but I 'think' that some hosting sites strip the EXIF data from uploads; so it may genuinely not be available...

I think we are a small enough group (at the moment anyway) to entrust this to honesty! (I hope I'm not being naive...)
          Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

[QUOTE=Canon-Fodder!;11840]Hi Nathaniel;

How you interpret a 'theme' is up to you... It's a simple, fun and open 'challenge'... We just accept that our entries may, or may not be, what the 'judge' is looking for!

I would suggest that both of your examples would qualify for this second challenge! Some submissions will inevitably be of inanimate (or still life) subjects; others may not... Why does there need to be any further 'clarification' or 'distinction'? I think it should be up to the judge to decide what he/she wants as a theme; and whether or not they want to impose any limitation for any given subject...

CF
            I agree. However I thought that to photograph an animate object/subject to fit a theme was a bit more difficult and therefore could make the competition a bit more interesting. Still life is far more straight forward. So if the theme said that entries could be either still life or animate subjects OR only still life or animate then the entrants are fully aware of the kind of subjects/items that are to be submitted. Anyway this is only my opinion and can be accepted or rejected by the members/judges.

]
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

So if the theme said that entries could be either still life or animate subjects OR only still life or animate then the entrants are fully aware of the kind of subjects/items that are to be submitted.
              By the same token, if the theme doesn’t get into specifics then entrants are fully aware that they can choose whatever type of subject they want.

Still life is far more straight forward
              OMG - That would make for an interesting debate.

Millie

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
                By the same token, if the theme doesn’t get into specifics then entrants are fully aware that they can choose whatever type of subject they want.

Millie

HI! Millie,

Yes, I agree with what you say. However, I am not getting involved or trying to start another "debate". Just put forward my observations.

Comment

Call me a woos... but I decided to steer clear of that one

Comment

Call me a woos... but I decided to steer clear of that one
                    Hmmmm----What type of photograph takes the least skill ?

It's got to be high shutterspeed motorsports photography in constant light, from a fixed position, with a supported long prime lens.

Provided you use the right settings, you could set the camera up, then go and sit in the bar all day, and let your three year old press the shutter release, until they get bored and start crying.

Obviously I’m joking, just giving an extreme example of were the debate could go.

Millie
                    Last edited by Millie; 18-03-2010, 11:18.

Comment

You are so not gonna get me going...

Comment

You are so not gonna get me going...
                        Ok CF, try this for size :tongue:

Is it sunrise/set landscape photography?

Especially the 20 % created in camera, 80% on the computer variety.

Wide lens, tripod, shutter release cord, F16, ISO100, MLU, filters (hardware/software) multiple shutter speeds for merging on the PC later --------Yawn…………
                        Google where to meter, where to focus, and read up on composition, acquire an eye for a good snap and you’ve cracked it - easy !

Perhaps it’s Portraiture, Wildlife, or Macro ? It's all hard, and it’s all easy.

Millie

Comment

I much prefer your original scenario which involved sitting in the bar all day... What happened to the Sundowner Cocktail required in-hand ?

Now; I'm sure at the back of the loft I still have my original Kodak Brownie dating from 1900 & frozen to death...

Life was so much simpler then - discuss...

Comment

Hmmmm----What type of photograph takes the least skill ?
                            Millie
                            Maybe wedding photography when everyone's completely tanked!
                            Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

I bet it is still photography- arranging all the whisky bottles in a row or in an isoseles triangle or even good old Newcastle ale cans.

oops! have I put one or both my feet in it?

Anyway just to show animate subjects in symmetry I have attached a picture of the Manchester Gospel Trio in Harmony.

P.S In case members were wondering what the trio were singing, it was the well known Hymn "Amazing Grace"!!
                              Last edited by Nathaniel; 19-03-2010, 20:46. Reason: A bit of extra information added re the Hymn

Comment

Good question Nathaniel, regrettably the short answer is yes.

Otherwise ‘the challenge’ would be to search your hard drive to see if you have an image that just happens to fit a given theme. This would mean that you don’t actually have to leave your computer, and get your camera out to take part.
                                Thinking about it, that makes my picture for the current one outside the rules, although as it happens it was taken the day before the competition was announced and with the intention of producing a shot which coincidentally fitted the brief. Do I get a bonus point by anticipating the challenge by a day?!

All, hypothetical, of course. It's not going to win because it's a tad out of focus anyway having been taken in near dark, it was just a fun shot and happened to fit in. Better to be disqualified than lose ;-)
                                Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Working...
                                X