Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My opinion.

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
    Why? Surely it shows that we are discussing a new member's concerns and taking them seriously, while also making some suggestions!!! Isn't that what the forum is for???

Richard
    agree..
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
      Why? Surely it shows that we are discussing a new member's concerns and taking them seriously, while also making some suggestions!!! Isn't that what the forum is for???

Richard
      It was only an idea as agree with Jeff and Nat on this.

Comment

I would like to see the" new members thread" to act as an introduction of new members to the forum so that we know who has joined etc. New members have got ample opportunities thereafter to raise any photographic matter in the other threads. Thats why there is such a wide selectoin of threads for members to choose.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I'm new myself, and took it that you use the new members thread to introduce yourself, and ask questions in the appropriate section?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Comment

Just to add to my original posting. Did you read in the January issue of the magazine that Reuters wants only JPEG images in their words "they stand by their policy to reflect reality & not to artistically interpret the news" Just a bit of power to my argument.

Comment

The magazine has taken this up for the last page & you will see ( hopefully, if they are good enough) some untouched work & pull it apart.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing some of your photos.

Comment

It seems a little late at post #42 to decide that the thread is in the wrong place.

At the moment we have three members in favour of moving the thread and two for leaving it where it is. However, as I am also in favour of leaving the thread alone, that gives a stalemate.

Does anyone else have an opinion? And if so, should we take this new discussion to a new thread?
                  Robert
                  robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

i would leave it where it is.....I doubt new EOS camera users considering entering the forum would look at this part of the forum any more or less than any other...so I doubt it makes a difference.
                    This is a very good discussion by the way....nothing in it to put anyone off.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I agree that it is a bit too late to move this subject to another thread like "Photo discussions"; however, it is a shame to leave it where it is as it is such a good thread that it would be a pity to lose it when a new member joins and introduces him/herself. It is a thread where one would like to go back to,if necessary, and one would not look for it under "new members"!
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

your the boss robert ,so leave it alone unless it gets out of hand ,anyway back to the days of film ,98% of my colour work was either taken as slides or sent to a processing shop (max spielman springs to mind) but 100% of my black and white either in 35mm or two and a quarter square was processed in my home darkroom ,lots of shots had either dark patches that needed lighting up or vice-versa ,there were often things like telegraph poles that were not needed on the skyline that needed removing .
                        unless you have done this daisy let me explain the process ,you put your negative into a enlarger and project the image onto a sample piece of photo paper that is held flat by a easel rather like a moveable set square .the image is projected and the focus adjusted till its sharp where required ,if any unwanted parts show up on the image you make a mental note of them ,most darkrooms had a lot of proprietary shapes made of thick cardboard available that should cover most situations ,you then replaced the paper with proper photo paper took a test shot to establish the correct exposure time ,then replaced that again with the actual photo paper ,the bits thats you wanted darker /lighter or not there at all were done by holding /moving/waving the shapes over the image while it was being exposed best results came with experience .this has in fact been done since photography was invented . its called dodging and burning .
                        a few things spring to mind while writing this ,first i used to love the smell of fixer on a sunday evening ,two i really really miss my old mamiya c330 interchangeable twin lens reflex ,and last but not least what a bloody expensive time consuming process it really was .
                        its taken me roughly 20 minutes to write this i can these days take a superb quality image and process it on my i.mac using lightroom and photoshop ,cropping ,processing,cloning out where needed and sharpening final image in roughly 3 to 4 minutes then posted to a world wide audience in seconds ,steve dawes has been with me when we have timed this so its a accurate appraisal .
                        i can also print out a high resolution copy of my finished photo on quality photo paper ready for framing on my six ink canon printer and hang it on the wall within minutes .
                        i loved the first car my dad ever bought a standard vanguard straight six but i have no desire to be seen driving around in one these days .you can't turn the tide back anymore than king canute could .
                        Last edited by the black fox; 05-09-2016, 17:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                          It seems a little late at post #42 to decide that the thread is in the wrong place.

At the moment we have three members in favour of moving the thread and two for leaving it where it is. However, as I am also in favour of leaving the thread alone, that gives a stalemate.

Does anyone else have an opinion? And if so, should we take this new discussion to a new thread?
                          Because you have invited opinions, I will give mine. IMHO there is no way this belongs in new members. It is not the OP's introductory post. I think it is an excellent thread and of value but it should be in a category which reflects the topic rather than the poster.

Comment

Robert, since you have asked for input, and implied it is down to a vote, I would suggest leaving it where it is. Yes, it has strayed from an 'intro' post (if it ever was one), and it has been interesting, but it has also gone over ground that we have touched on regularly in the past, and will, I suspect die its natural death as a thread shortly.
                            And of course in a few months someone else will raise the same question and we will offer our same views. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with that, that is the nature of forums, but you can't keep shifting threads all the time - you have a life to live...
                            Canon EOS 7D
                            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post
                              Just to add to my original posting. Did you read in the January issue of the magazine that Reuters wants only JPEG images in their words "they stand by their policy to reflect reality & not to artistically interpret the news" Just a bit of power to my argument.
                              I am sorry Daisy, that doesn't add any grist to your argument! I mentioned photo-journalism way back. That is a special class of photography with particular rules. But in any case, you can create a JPEG from a RAW photograph in a matter of fractions of a second! I am still waiting to see your photos to knock our socks off!!! I am still waiting for you to show we are all admiring the emperor's new clothes.

Besides which, which in-camera JPEG setting do you want us to use for photo-realism???
                              Last edited by rcarca; 05-09-2016, 20:35.
                              Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                                Because you have invited opinions, I will give mine. IMHO there is no way this belongs in new members. It is not the OP's introductory post. I think it is an excellent thread and of value but it should be in a category which reflects the topic rather than the poster.
                                Actually, it is her first post. Daisy M has made more posts since, but this was her first.
                                Robert
                                robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Working...
                                X